Week 10 Tezuka


I read Ranma 1/2 and Buddha this week. Osamu Tezuka's Buddha original published from 1972 to 1983, and around the same time his another work Black Jack was also published from 1973 to 1983, which is highly overlapped. I have seen Black Jack when I was little, but I actually never heard Buddha before. My first impression with Buddha is that the character looks so similar with Black Jack, and I love the overall stylized character and animals with the perfect line work quality. During this time from 1970's to 80's, which at the same time when comparing with the The Black Incal I read last week, I think Osamu Tezuka is influenced by western style since his style is really different compare to traditional Japanese ink painting. On the other hand, Ranma 1/2 published in 1987, which is really interesting that it's theme about shifting gender back and forth should be an experimental challenge during that time. And female protagonist in Ranma 1/2 also present a strong image of a young girl that she can beat all the man around her. As I know, in Japan's society, female's social stand is usually lower than man, especially during the time that this comic published, which to me is an interesting contrast.

Comments

  1. Tezuka is famous for using the same character design in multiple manga. Especially, Black Jack is kind of considered as the spin off of his works. You have great eyes, because most of the patients in Black Jack is reused design from other his works. There are several character designs in common between Buddha and Black Jack!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts