Week 1: the graphic narrative


After reading The Arrival by Shaun Tan, I think it is a really well done wordless graphic novel that be able to tell the story throughout the continuous images without any single word. There are two part particularly successful in building up the whole story without saying anything. First is the expression on the character's face, and second is each important action that those characters do. Since Tan drew out each important timing of what character is doing, the viewers will be able to understand clearly on what exactly is happening and what are they doing. Another part I particularly love is how he handles composition and black and white value throughout the comic, and Tan is really good at guiding viewer's eyes from image to image. Overall I love this comic and I'm impressed about this work since all I know about comic before is something like Superman or Batman.

Comments

Popular Posts